A company came to us frustrated that they had spent a lot of time and effort building a knowledge base, but their customers weren’t using it. Their articles were thorough and easy to understand – they actually estimated that almost half of their support cases had direct and straightforward answers in the articles, if only people would search for it before reaching out to the support team.
If customers weren’t going to go after the articles, we had to bring the articles to them. To make this happen, we implemented an online chat solution that leveraged Einstein Bots:
- The first thing we did was an analysis of the most common issues customers faced that led them to opening support cases, and mapped those to the article that had the answers. In some instances, we even broke down those articles to bring the reader right to the point of the issue.
- Following on from that, we combined those into topics and arranged them into a four-level deep tree structure. For example, one of the paths could be Account > Settings > Security > Reset Password.
- Once all of that was defined, we set up the chat functionality and added the Bot layer. We gave the Bot a personality that matched the company’s. When the customer opens the chat, the Bot greets them and presents a series of multiple choice questions. For example, it might ask whether their query is related to their account, equipment or services. If they choose Account, it prompts another quick question and so on. Once they got to Reset Password, the Bot answers their question with a snippet from the article that was previously mapped and also provides a direct link to the full article for more information.
- The Bot then asks whether the customer’s problem has been resolved or whether they want to go ahead and either speak to a support rep or open a case.
- Lastly, we removed the “Create a Case” shortcut from the landing page that was so tempting to click before searching for answers, and replaced it with the chat widget. Now the most intuitive option is to go to the chat window instead!
Customers are happy that they can find answers faster by being directed to the right Knowledge Article very quickly, rather than having to wait for a reply from the support team. The company saw a considerable reduction in repetitive cases, which in turn meant they needed fewer support reps. The more tech-savvy amongst them had their roles reshaped to work on continuously improving the Bot and reported higher job satisfaction. It’s a win-win all around and that’s what we are passionate about delivering here at ThirdEye!